Saturday, November 22, 2008

Childhood

Most of us become parents long before we have stopped being children. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook


I'm so glad I've not grown out of my childhood yet. I'm still very much a child in many ways.

My kids don't want an adult for a playmate. They want someone who will climb in a box with them and then tell a story and turn it into a beautiful castle. They want someone who will sit on the floor with a bucket of water and pour it from one container into another for an hour, and who will laugh at the funny sounds that cows sometimes make and lay on the ground and watch the ants go in and out of their little hill.

My kids need an adult sometimes, but thankfully, even in the midst of the stress of this move, I'm still enough of a child that I can see the joy in a big pile of wrapping paper.

No comments: