Saturday, August 1, 2009

August now

Well where are we with the garden. Honestly, horrible. We had hail a few weeks ago and it destroyed my corn, beans and tomatoes. My beans already had a bacteria and weren't going to make it. But I was really upset at the tomato loss. I've had wonderful tomatoes this year, and have put up a lot of them!

So I need to buy some green beans, and a whole bunch of them. I'm headed to a local farm today to see how many beans I can get! I'm hoping for at least a bushel of green beans! That is about thirty pounds. My kids both love green beans and it is one of the few veggies I actually look forward to. Plus I use them in soups, stews, casseroles etc all winter long, so I'm going after those today. Also I am going to can sweet corn this week. I know of a farm near me that has sweet corn coming out the wazoo, so I'm hoping for a couple of bushels of sweet corn. I much prefer frozen sweet corn, so I'll freeze a few, but canning is self stable and we live in a part of the country that gets bad ice storms that knock out power sometimes for weeks at a time.

No comments: