Friday, March 12, 2010

Dehydrating vegetables

I'm growing broccoli this spring. Hopefully I'll get a bunch of it. I love broccoli. Well let me clarify. I detest vegetables, all vegetables. However of all the vegetables that I detest I can stomach broccoli. I'll seek it out. I like broccoli soup with chicken stock and lots of fresh pepper and onion and a little bit of cream.

But I'm growing a lot of broccoli. I've got twenty plants right now. All going to arrive at the same time. And limited freezer space. So I was trying to think of some alternative ways to store said broccoli. I could make big batches of the soup and can it, and I'll probably do some of that. But I'll still have more broccoli.

So I've decided to dehydrate my broccoli. I'll steam it for a few minutes, and then pack it into vacuum sealed jars. I'll reconstitute it for soups in the winter months. I'm really excited to see how this works!

4 comments:

Traci said...

I got my dehydrator about a month ago and I LOVE it!!! So far I've used it for fruits and granola and all-fruit roll ups for D. I haven't tried veggies yet- was gonna make some tomato chips but since the crops got ruined here tomatoes are over &4 a pound!

Hope you are successful!

Ash said...

I'm really interested to see how the dehydrated broccoli turns out! :D I wish the cooler growing season was longer here...we've not had luck with broccoli.

Unknown said...

Nice Post.kindly visit us @ SMARTLEADERS IAS ACADEMY – UPSC Coaching in Chennai

Kalam Training Academy said...

I have seen some posts on this website and I think that your blog is very interesting and has lots of excellent information. Keep up the great work.

Tnpsc Current Affairs

Tnpsc Coaching Centre in Vadapalani