Wednesday, February 25, 2009

crazy busy

So much is going on here lately, lots of stuff. But all good things.

First we have wild sand plumbs growing in Narnia in the back. These apparently grow quickly and wildly where we live, and are supposed to make delightful preserves. So it seems when the fall comes I'll be making sour plum preserves. I'm also going to experiment with some sour plum pies, in the tradition of sour cherry pies!

Second in addition to my spinach plants which I've already had to thin, I also have some broccoli, fennel, tomatoes, eggplant, and onions started. My radishes are going to pop through any minute. Carrots in a week or so I hope.

And I found a wonderful source for raw cows milk. I don't like goats milk, so finding cows milk close by was a delight. It is very close to where the sailor works and is a healthy source. I met the farmer when he was feeding a little calf that had just been born! There is something so amazing about meeting the farmer, petting the cow, and knowing exactly where your milk is coming from. The price is amazing too! I'll easily be able to start making my own cheese and butter again!

In addition to all those amazing things we have also gotten free membership to the local YMCA. In an effort to bless the military population they are giving free memberships to military members. I was amazed and blown away when they told me that, I just couldn't believe it! We were planning on spending over 50 a month for a membership, and now we are free! I can't quite get over the shock.

No comments: