Saturday, February 28, 2009

my last jar of strawberry jam

I opened my last jar of strawberry jam from a canning session last spring before Huck was born. It is perfect. Sweet, but not as sugary as the stuff you get from the grocery as I typically like to use about half the amount of sugar as you get in the grocery (if anybody has made jam with natural sugars pass along the recipe!) I think there will be local strawberries here in about two months, so I have to survive without any strawberry jam for a few months. I suppose we can make it. It does remind me that I need to add some jars when I make jam this year. Now that there are three of us eating jam, and by this summer four, I'll have to step up my preserves a bit.

This is a quiet time of year in terms of eating, especially if you are trying to eat locally. Eating locally in Florida was very hard as there wasn't a lot of agraculture in our part of Florida. But we have a few jars of this and that left from last summer. I didn't do nearly as much as I wanted to because Huck was so little!

But I DID get some local asparagus a couple of days ago from a woman that I met online. Just a few spears, but if you have never had fresh local asparagus you have never had asparagus. It was sweet, and, almost buttery tasting.

Oh and we joined the Y. We wouldn't have done it, but our local Y offers free membership to military families, so that is pretty exciting!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hi Erin! I'm so glad you got the stuff and like it! I hope everyone's feeling better now!

I can't wait to go strawberry picking in April! I didn't get enough to make jam last year, but I'm hoping to this year.