Sunday, August 3, 2008

Whole wheat Banana Pancakes

Photobucket

This morning we had a DELIGHTFUL breakfast of whole wheat banana pancakes. The grain I used was a soft wheat, freshly milled of course. Soft white wheat has as VERY mild flavor, unlike for example hard red wheat, which has the nutty flavor commonly associated with whole wheat. I used these amazing eggs I found locally and the bee helped me mix the milk mixture up.

When I'm making pancakes I really like to use sour milk. I'm not talking the putrid milk that happens to pasteurized milk, but the gentle souring of raw milk. If you are at all concerned about the souring of milk, just remember than you are cooking your pancakes high enough temperatures to kill any buggies that might be hanging out in your sour milk. If you don't have any sour milk, buttermilk makes a wonderful substitute. I seldom make buttermilk so I seldom have it on hand.

I fried these puppies up in some sweet butter. I like the little bit extra saltiness that the sweet butter adds to the crunch on the outside.

you can use any pancake recipe that you have, though for pancakes I don't generally use a recipe, but I'll try and translate what I did for banana pancakes.

2 c. freshly milled soft wheat flour
1 T. baking powder (use and Aluminum free one)
1 t. salt (I use milled sea salt)
2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. sour milk or buttermilk
2 large eggs (fresh, organic, pastured if possible)
1 T. Honey or evaporated cane juice
1 t. vanilla
3 very ripe bananas, thinly sliced

Mix the dry ingredients together. Mix the wet together in another bowl. add wet to dry and stir until JUST MOISTENED all the way. If you stir longer the pancakes will get tough. Mix in the banana slices. Fry on med low in butter until tops look 'dry' then flip.

You can also use this exact same recipe and replace the bananas with blueberries or other berries. I almost always have a bunch of frozen berries in my freezer and I don't even bother to thaw them, just toss a few on top of every pancake as I put it on the griddle.

2 comments:

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I will have to try some of these out, especially since the tomatoes and zucchini are almost ripe from our garden.
I want to hear how you're able to afford all (or nearly all) organic, though. We have a terrible time trying to stay within our grocery budget!